Highway NewsLatest UpdatesTopicsAll ItemsSearch

« Back to previous

WhatsApp – what’s that?

WhatsApp is a free messaging service between phones and other devices.  Some may know this app, some may use it… but if you don’t you’re missing out on some wonderful ways of keeping in touch with family and friends.

Most members will have used text messaging on their phones.  Texts use a cellular (mobile phone) network to deliver messages (for example Vodafone and O2).  Most providers of mobile services will allow a certain number of texts per month within their contracts.  However, picture messaging is almost always is charged around 20p per message.  So, for example, if you want to send someone a picture of where you are on holiday, the picture message would attract extra charges.

Instead of using the cellular network the free WhatsApp app will generally use a Wi-Fi internet connection to send and receive messages, but sending picture messages is totally free.  But it doesn’t stop there… you can send video and voice messages too without charge.

The only downside to WhatsApp is that your phone has to be connected to the internet (therefore it has to be a smartphone) and if you don’t have a Wi-Fi connection your phone may use the data allowance included in most cellular contracts.  If you have neither a cellular connection nor a Wi-Fi connection… it won’t work (but then you couldn’t send ordinary texts either).

My family uses WhatsApp most days.  I often get pictures and videos of the grandchildren and also short audio messages that they love recording on their parents’ phones.  We have set up a Family Group within WhatsApp so the whole family can see what’s going on.

The good thing about WhatsApp is that you don’t receive loads of unwanted messages as you can in other social media apps like Facebook and there are no adverts (at present!).  I keep it in the family plus a few trusted friends and colleagues.  I also have it installed on my laptop.

There are over a billion users throughout the world using it.  What’s not to like about WhatsApp?

For additional advice and/or assistance in setting up WhatsApp go to your nearest Highway Member Support session​.

Phil on 21/6/16
Peggie1 on 22/6/16
My son is working in Spain at the moment and told me to install Whatsapp when we communicate because of the advantages you have mentioned.
You must be logged in and approved as a forum user to discuss.

The Highway Forum is a place where you can find out what is happening in the world of technology and Highway itself...

How to use the Forum
Forum Guidelines
Ask us anything?

Registered users only…. type your question here and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible...